Do you have a bed skirt with split corners? If not, you’re missing out on one of the easiest ways to make your bed look polished and professional. This tutorial will show you how to make a split corner bed skirt in just a few simple steps. We’ll also give tips on choosing the suitable fabric and size for your needs. So don’t wait any longer – let’s get started!
What Is a Split Corner Bed Skirt, and Why Should You Use One?
A split corner bed skirt is a type of bed skirt that has two corners that are “split” or separated from the rest of the fabric. This allows you to easily tuck the bed skirt into the corners of your bed without gathering or pleating the fabric. Split corner bed skirts also tend to lay flatter and smoother than gathered or pleated styles, which gives your bed a more polished look.
Making a Split Corner Bed Skirt
Now that you know all about split corner bed skirts let’s start making one!
Gather the Supplies
You’ll need the following supplies:
- The fabric of your choice (we recommend a lightweight fabric such as cotton or linen)
- Measuring tape or ruler
- Sewing machine and thread
- Split corner template (you can find one online or make your own)
Take the Measurement
First, you’ll need to measure your bed. To do this, measure the width and length of your mattress. Once you have these measurements, add an extra 12 inches to the width and 18 inches to the length. This will give you enough fabric to tuck the bed skirt under your mattress and create a nice “drop” on each side.
Cut Out the Fabric
Next, use a measuring tape or ruler to mark and cut out the fabric according to your desired size. Then, use a split corner template (or make your own) to mark and cut out the two split corners.
Sew the Seams
Now it’s time to sew! Start by sewing along each side seam and then the bottom seam. If you’re using a fabric that tends to fray, you can finish the raw edges with serge or zig-zag stitch.
Attach the Bed Skirt to Your Mattress
Finally, it’s time to attach your bed skirt to your mattress. To do this, simply tuck the bed skirt under your mattress and use pins or adhesive fabric strips to secure it. That’s it – you’re done!
How Do You Choose the Right Fabric and Size for a Split Corner Bed Skirt?
When choosing a fabric for your split corner bed skirt, we recommend sticking with lightweight fabrics such as cotton or linen. These fabrics are easy to work with and create a smooth, crisp look. If you’re looking for something more luxurious, you can also opt for velvet or silk.
Regarding size, it is highly recommended that you measure your mattress prior to your decision. Additionally, add an extra 12 and 18 inches to the width and length respectively. This will give you enough fabric to tuck the bed skirt under your mattress and create a nice “drop” on each side.
Tips on How to Style Your Bed with a Split Corner Bed Skirt
A split corner bed skirt adds a touch of sophistication to any bedroom. Here are a few tips on how to style your bed with a split corner bed skirt:
- Choose a split corner bed skirt that complements the color scheme of your bedroom. Then, match the skirt to the pillow shams and duvet cover for a cohesive look.
- Opt for a light-colored skirt to create a sense of spaciousness in a small room. A white or cream-colored skirt will make the room feel airy and open.
- Choose a skirt with an interesting texture or pattern for a more dramatic look. For example, a ruffled skirt will add some romance to the space, while a striped skirt will give the room a nautical feel.
- Ensure the skirt’s total length must be proportional to your bed’s height. A floor-length skirt will give the bed a regal look, while a shorter skirt will create a more casual feel.
- When attaching the split corners of the bed skirt to the bed frame, be sure to use safety pins that are strong enough to hold the fabric in place. If you are concerned about the fabric slipping, you can use Velcro or adhesive to keep it in place.
Do I need to use a particular fabric for a split corner bed skirt?
No, you can use any fabric that you like. However, we recommend sticking with lightweight fabrics such as cotton or linen. These fabrics are easy to work with and create a smooth, crisp look.
What is the best way to care for a split corner bed skirt?
We recommend spot-cleaning your bed skirt as needed. We recommend washing the skirt by hand in cold water, then drying it on low heat if you must.
How often should I wash my split corner bed skirt?
We recommend spot-cleaning your bed skirt as needed. Just maintain a good hy.
A split corner bed skirt is a simple way to add style and sophistication to any bedroom. With its clean lines and crisp look, a well-chosen bed skirt can make all the difference in the overall appearance of your space.It is important for you to consider the overall style of your lovely room when choosing a suitable size and fabric of your bed skirt. Then, follow the steps above to create one of your own.